No. 8 UWF to Face No. 1 Valdosta State in GSC Men's Tennis Title Match
Argos Defeat Harding, Ouachita Baptist on Saturday
MONTGOMERY, Ala. – After victories on Saturday in the Gulf South Conference Tournament quarterfinals and semifinals over Harding and Ouachita Baptist, respectively, the No. 8 West Florida men’s tennis team earned a date with No. 1 Valdosta State in Sunday’s GSC championship match at Lagoon Park in Montgomery. UWF advanced with a 5-0 win over Harding in the first round and a 5-2 win over No. 17 Ouachita Baptist in the second.
In the quarterfinals against Harding, the Argonauts jumped out to a 3-0 lead in doubles. Leandro Ferreira (Sao Paulo, Brazil/Colegio Antonio Afonso) and Jose Carlos Tolentino (Lima, Peru/Laredo CC) won 8-2 at No. 1 doubles, as did Domenico Sano (Macaray, Venezuela) and Sean Gunnels (Mobile, Ala./Murphy HS) at No. 2.
In singles play, the Argonauts clinched the victory with wins at the No. 1 and No. 3 spots. Ferreira, ranked No. 18 in singles, defeated Harding’s top player Alex Ford 6-1, 6-1 at No. 1 singles. Mike Lue (Richmond Hill, Ontario/St. Augustine Catholic HS) won at the No. 3 spot and dropped just one set, picking up a 6-1, 6-0 victory.
The Argonauts faced No. 17 Ouachita Baptist in the semifinals, a team that eliminated UWF from the GSC Tournament in the semifinals last season. It was a different story this year, as the Argos won two out of three doubles matches and used three singles wins to clinch the victory. Sano and Gunnels again teamed up at No. 2 doubles to win 8-5, while Lue and Lukas Larsson (Ystad, Sweden/Osterportskolan) won 8-6 at No. 3 doubles.
In singles play, Ferreira was defeated at the No. 1 spot by No. 7 Tobiak Kuhlmann 6-0, 6-2, but the Argonauts picked up singles wins by Sano (6-2, 6-2) and Lue (6-4, 6-3) at No. 3 and No. 4, respectively.
The Argonauts will take on four-time defending champion Valdosta State, ranked No. 1 in the ITA national poll, in Sunday’s GSC championship match. The men’s final is scheduled for a 9 a.m. start at Lagoon Park in Montgomery. For information on all UWF Athletics, visit www.GoArgos.com.
#8 University of West Florida 5, Harding 0
4/16/2011 at Montgomery, Ala. (O'Connor Tennis Center)
1. #18 Leandro Ferreira (UWF) def. Alex Ford (HU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Mike Lue (UWF) def. Ivan Michelli (HU) 6-1, 6-0
1. Leandro Ferreira/Jose Carlos Tolentino (UWF) def. Henrique Ruiz/Alex Ford (HU) 8-2
2. Domenico Sano/Sean Gunnels (UWF) def. Ivan Michelli/Helio Hashimoto (HU) 8-2
3. Mike Lue/Lukas Larsson (UWF) def. Aldo Campos/Adam Edwards (HU) 8-4
University of West Florida 19-8; National ranking #8; Regional ranking #4
Gulf South Conference Tournament Quarterfinals
#8 University of West Florida 5, #17 Ouachita Baptist 2
4/16/2011 at Montgomery, Ala. (Lagoon Park)
1. #7 Tobias Kuhlmann (OBU) def. #18 Leandro Ferreira (UWF) 6-0, 6-2
3. Domenico Sano (UWF) def. Teodor Anghel (OBU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Mike Lue (UWF) def. Ramon Abaitua (OBU) 6-4, 6-3
6. Guilherme Canineo (UWF) def. Ernesto Laborda (OBU) 4-6, 6-0, 6-1
1. Tobias Kuhlmann/Till Heilshorn (OBU) def. #10 Leandro Ferreira/Andrey Pozhidaev (UWF) 8-5
2. Domenico Sano/Sean Gunnels (UWF) def. Helge Knuth/Ernesto Laborda (OBU) 8-5
3. Mike Lue/Lukas Larsson (UWF) def. Teodor Anghel/Ramon Abaitua (OBU) 8-6
Ouachita Baptist 10-8; National ranking #17; Regional ranking #6
University of West Florida 20-8; National ranking #8; Regional ranking #4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles ()
Gulf South Conference Tournament Semifinals