Ten in a row: West Florida remains undefeated in 6-2 win at Shorter
Argos improve to 10-0 overall
Related Item: Box Score
ROME, Ga. – The No. 2 West Florida women’s soccer team won their 10th straight game Sunday afternoon in a 6-2 win at Shorter University. Five different players scored for UWF in the win, as the team totaled a season-best six goals. Monica Malavassi (San Jose, Costa Rica/University of Costa Rica) led the offensive effort, scoring two goals off the bench.
The flurry of first half scoring for UWF (10-0, 6-0 GSC) started in the 11th minute, as Shelby Bush (Shalimar, Fla./Darton) was fouled in the penalty area, leading to a penalty kick goal by Kelly Andres (Jacksonville, Fla./Bishop Kenny HS). After Shorter (2-7-1, 1-4-1 GSC)\ tied the score in the 14th minute, the Argos then scored four unanswered to go into halftime leading 5-1.
The first of the four unanswered came from Chelsea Palmer (Plano, Texas/Tyler JC), who bent one in from the left side on a corner kick in the 18th minute. Shortly after, Sashana Campbell (Manchester, Jamaica/Darton) collected a loose ball in the box and slipped one by the keeper with her left foot.
Palmer then assisted on the Argos’ next goal in the 37th minute, lofting the ball from the right corner to Malavassi for a volley inside the near post. Malavassi scored again in the last minute of the first half, as Taylor Harbison’s (Neptune Beach, Fla./Fletcher HS) throw-in bounced over a defender and Malavassi again volleyed one in past the keeper.
Shorter narrowed the Argos’ lead early in the second half, as Brandi Greenwald scored her second goal of the game in the 62nd minute. Just two minutes later, UWF went back up by four with their sixth goal of the game. Palmer took another corner kick, and Alisa Festagallo (Fort Pierce, Fla./Lincoln Park Academy) was there on the back post to head it in to the net.
Malavassi’s two goals marked her third straight game with a goal, as she now has four for the season in just four games.
The Argos finished the match ahead in the shot count 19-8, and they also had nine corner kicks while Shorter had none.
The next match for the Argonauts will be against West Alabama on Friday, Oct. 5 as part of Homecoming Week at UWF. For information on all UWF athletics, visit www.GoArgos.com.
West Florida (10-0, 5-0 GSC) vs. Shorter (2-7-1, 1-3-1 GSC)
Date: 09/30/12 Attendance: 150
Goals by period 1 2 Tot
West Florida........ 5 1 - 6
Shorter............. 1 1 - 2
1. 10:03 UWF Kelly Andres (2) Penalty kick - Shelby Bush fouled in the box, leading to the penalty kick
2. 13:52 SU Brandi Greenwald (5) (Cintia Lamas) - off free kick, cross into the middle and one-touch goal
3. 17:41 UWF Chelsea Palmer (6) (Alex Pickrell) - short corner kick, touched by Pickrell and lofted in by Palmer
4. 23:26 UWF Sashana Campbell (5) (unassisted) - deflection in front of net, Campbell scores with left foot
5. 36:16 UWF Monica Malavassi (3) (Chelsea Palmer) - corner kick to near post, volleyed in by Malavassi
6. 44:43 UWF Monica Malavassi (4) (Taylor Harbison) - throw in bounces over defender, volleyed by Malavassi
7. 61:11 SU Brandi Greenwald (6) (Aline Bez Tamiosso;Diamond Davis) - connecting passes leads to corner, cross inside to one-touch
8. 63:42 UWF Alisa Festagallo (3) (Chelsea Palmer) - corner kick from left, headed in by Festagallo
Shots: West Florida 19, Shorter 8
Saves: West Florida 1 (Sarah Story 1), Shorter 5 (Katie Stachula 5)