PENSACOLA, Fla. – The No. 2-ranked University of West Florida men’s tennis team (17-2) won their eighth straight match today with a 7-2 victory over No. 19 UC San Diego today at the Ralph “Skeeter” Carson Tennis Complex. The match was UWF’s first match of four to be played over a four-day span.
West Florida tallied victories at two of the three doubles positions. At the No. 1 line, the No. 2-ranked duo of Kevin Ducros (Aix-en-Provence, France) and Bruno Savi (Santana do Livramento, Brazil) defeated Devon Sousa and Austin West, 8-6. Leandro Ferreira (Sao Paulo, Brazil) and Andrey Pozhidaev (Sochi, Russia), who together form the No. 17-ranked doubles tandem in the nation, defeated Kona Luu and Jason Wall, 8-4, at No. 2. UCSD’s lone doubles victory came at the No. 3 position, where Max Jigani and Sam Ling defeated Argonauts Mike Lue (Richmond Hill, Ontario) and Domenico Sano (Macaray, Venezuela), 9-7.
UWF won five of the six singles matches. Ducros, who is ranked No. 9 nationally in singles, defeated Chapman Chan, 6-2, 6-3, at No. 1. At No. 2, No. 12-ranked Savi defeated Junya Yoshida, 6-4, 6-2. Pozhidaev, who is ranked No. 21 nationally, recorded a 6-1, 6-2, victory over West at No. 3. At the No. 5 line, Sano defeated Ling, 6-3, 6-3. Lue defeated Luu, 6-2, 6-2, at No. 6. UCSD’s second victory of the day came at the No. 4 singles position, where Jigani defeated UWF freshman Elio Latela (Sydney, Australia), 3-6, 6-3, 1-0.
West Florida returns to the courts tomorrow as the Argos host No. 17 Grand Canyon. First serve is set for 12 p.m. at the Ralph “Skeeter” Carson Tennis Complex on the UWF campus. Results and a recap of the match will be available on GoArgos.com. For information on all UWF Athletics, visit www.GoArgos.com.
No. 2 West Florida 7, No. 19 UCSD 2
Pensacola, Fla. (Ralph “Skeeter” Carson Tennis Complex)
1. No. 2 Kevin Ducros/Bruno Savi (UWF) def. Devon Sousa/Austin West (UCSD) 8-6
2. No. 17 Leandro Ferreira/Andrey Pozhidaev (UWF) def. Kona Luu/Jason Wall (UCSD) 8-4
3. Max Jigani/Sam Ling (UCSD) def. Mike Lue/Domenico Sano (UWF) 9-7
1. No. 9 Kevin Ducros (UWF) def. Chapman Chan (UCSD) 6-2, 6-3
2. No. 12 Bruno Savi (UWF) def. Junya Yoshida (UCSD) 6-4, 6-2
3. No. 21 Andrey Pozhidaev (UWF) def. Austin West (UCSD) 6-1, 6-2
4. Max Jiganti def. Elio Latela (UWF) 3-6, 6-3, 1-0
5. Domenico Sano (UWF) def. Sam Ling (UCSD) 6-3, 6-3
6. Mike Lue (UWF) def. Kona Luu (UCSD) 6-2, 6-2
West Florida 17-2; National Ranking #2; South Region Ranking #1
UC San Diego 12-7; National Ranking #19; West Region Ranking #2
-- www.GoArgos.com –